????We are an equal opportunity employer and embrace the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion within the recruitment process. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and experiences. The more inclusive we are, the better we can deliver our mission to shape a more sustainable world. ????
Hi, We’re Nexio Projects
At Nexio Projects, we firmly believe that everyone has the power to shape a more sustainable future. As a trusted advisor and partner to clients in a wide range of sectors, we simplify the challenges associated with sustainability and bring clarity and transparency to fuel bold action. We are facilitators and implementors at heart and strongly believe in the power of incremental change to shape a more sustainable future.
As a dynamic team, we form a motivated group of 30+ co-workers headquartered in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. We have cultivated a unique team spirit that is both impact-driven and purpose-oriented. We are humble, hardworking, and continuous learners.
Everyone’s voice can be heard and promoting an environment where maximum potential can be reached is at our core. Because of this, we continuously look for enthusiastic intrapreneurs who can do things without taking themselves too seriously.
Your typical week
It’s Monday morning, and you’re returning to the office refreshed from a great weekend. The week starts with our team meeting, where everyone reflects on the learnings of the past week and shares intentions for the coming one. This creates a space for alignment, awareness, and enthusiasm before stepping into the new week and allows everyone to get the latest updates from different departments while hearing about the organisation’s growth.
During the week, you can expect a combination of client-facing tasks and research missions. The week closes off on Friday at 5 pm with our gratitude award. This is the time to reflect on the successes and challenges of the week and, most importantly, to share what we’re grateful for. After this, our team is always keen to stay longer and enjoy some precious bonding time over on-the-house beer, wine, and other refreshments.
As a Climate Intern in our Rotterdam Office, you will work closely with clients to determine where they stand regarding climate change, what their ambitions are, what their major risks and opportunities are, and develop meaningful climate change strategies and present detailed and professional reports to clients. Through your work, you will have an opportunity to showcase your consulting skills and engage with large corporations and SMEs regarding climate change. As training and growth are a central part of Nexio Projects, we will provide you with the tools and teachings to allow you to grow as an expert on corporate climate change strategies. You will, however, also be required to expand your climate change-related knowledge and expertise independently and continuously.
Is this an environment you want to work in? Are you a curious person committed to helping businesses become a force for good? Do you love the buzzing energy of a team striving towards reaching a common goal? Then read on to learn more about the role.
Skills and Experience
- Excited to work in a start-up environment.
- Passionate about solving climate change challenges, climate strategies and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- University degree, BA, BSc, HBO or WO – in Sustainability, Environmental Science, Engineering or in other technical fields. Master’s degree a plus.
- Six months to one year of work experience.
- Good understanding of the Greenhouse Gas Protocol and carbon foot printing in general.
- You have deep interest in and thorough understanding of climate change, especially in a corporate context, and specifically on some or all the following topics:
- Corporate climate change risks and opportunities (e.g.TCFD reporting)
- Carbon accounting (according to the GHG Protocol)
- CDP reporting, Science-Based Targets
- Life Cycle Assessments (LCA)
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills.
- Proactive communicator with strong interpersonal skills – making complex ideas accessible.
- Problem-solving skills – an analytical, innovative, and creative mindset.
- A strong ability to multi-task, a friendly demeanour, and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Team player that works quickly and independently.
- Conduct rigorous research and data analysis
- Fluency in English – Dutch, French or any additional European language is a crucial advantage.
- Proficiency in Excel.
- Interest in sustainability goes beyond work and is also part of your lifestyle.
What You Deliver
- A hands-on approach with collecting data by contacting all required stakeholders directly;
- Source appropriate and accurate emissions factors from internal and external databases;
- Use software and calculation models (MS PowerBI, Excel, etc.) to transform client data into greenhouse gas emissions;
- Create insightful data visualisations for client reports; Writing reports and presentations and helping to present these to clients;
- Continuously helping to develop and improve internal calculation models and processes;
- Develop estimation models where data is not available using research and accurate assumptions;
- Assist with other climate-related projects (emissions reduction strategies, climate risk assessments, setting Science-Based Targets, etc.).
- A dynamic, international, creative and professional working environment.
- An environment where entrepreneurialism and creativity are key.
- Constant learning opportunities that enable you to grow and apply your knowledge on a variety of projects, with a training allowance per year (time and costs covered in part);
- A flexible work environment where you are free to work from home for 50% of the time – if desired.
- Work-from-home equipment.
- Transportation allowance, if necessary, although we highly encourage you to bike to work.
- Contribution towards wellbeing services (mental or physical health memberships/services).
- A free Swapfiets subscription.
- Pension Plan.
- An opportunity to deepen your knowledge and specialise in crucial sustainability topics that interest you most.
- Fresh fruit and flower delivery every week.
- A fun, friendly start-up environment with:
- A gratitude award shared by colleagues sharing appreciation for each other’s work.
- A weekly Friday evening drink to wrap up the week and get to know each other more personally.
- Quarterly team events.
- Volunteering opportunities.
- Job type: Full-time
- Location: Rotterdam
- Optimal start date: July 2023.
- Application deadline: Please, submit your application as soon as possible.
- Other: Presence required in the Rotterdam office (60/40 work from office, work from home policy).