At Nexio Projects, we firmly believe that everyone has the power to shape a more sustainable future. As a trusted advisor and partner to clients in a wide range of sectors, we simplify the challenges associated with sustainability and bring clarity and transparency to fuel bold action. We are facilitators and implementors at heart and strongly believe in the power of incremental change to shape a more sustainable future.
As a dynamic team, we form a motivated group of 20+ co-workers headquartered in Rotterdam and have cultivated a unique team spirit that is both impact-driven and purpose-oriented. We are humble, hardworking and continuous learners.
Our horizontal structure is one of our main strengths, where everyone’s voice can be heard, promoting an environment in which maximum potential can be reached. Because of this, we continuously look for enthusiastic intrapreneurs who can do things seriously, without taking themselves too seriously.
Your typical week
It’s Monday morning and you’re coming back to the office all refreshed from a great weekend. The week starts with our team meeting, where everyone reflects on the learnings of the past week and shares intentions for the coming one. This creates a space for alignment, awareness and enthusiasm before stepping into the new week and allows everyone to get the latest updates from different departments while hearing about the organization’s growth.
During the week, you can expect a combination of client-facing tasks and research missions. You will be supporting climate change-related client projects, in collaboration with the climate team consultants and team lead. As a result, you will work with clients from around the world in a wide range of industries.
The week closes off on Friday 5pm with our gratitude award. This is the time to reflect on the successes and challenges of the week and most importantly to share what we’re grateful for. After this, our team is always keen to stay longer and enjoy some precious bonding time over drinks and snacks.
Is this an environment you want to work in? Are you a curious person, committed to helping business become a force for good? Do you love the buzzing energy of a team striving towards reaching a common goal? Then read on to learn more about the role.
As a Climate Change Intern in our Rotterdam Office, you will work closely with clients to determine where they stand regarding climate change, what their ambitions are, what their major risks and opportunities are, and develop meaningful climate change strategies and present detailed and professional reports to clients.
Through your work, you will have an opportunity to showcase your consulting skills and engage with large corporations and SMEs regarding climate change. As training and growth are a central part of Nexio Projects, we will provide you with the tools and teachings to allow you to grow as an expert on corporate climate change strategies. You will, however, also be required to expand your climate change-related knowledge and expertise independently and continuously.
Some of your tasks will include:
- Facilitating and streamlining the collection of data from clients.
- Taking a hands-on approach with collecting data by contacting all required stakeholders directly.
- Sourcing appropriate and accurate emissions factors from internal and external databases.
- Using software and calculation models (MS PowerBI, Excel, etc.) to transform client data into greenhouse gas emissions.
- Creating insightful data visualisations for client reports.
- Writing reports and presentations and helping to present these to clients.
- Continuously helping to develop and improve internal calculation models and processes.
- Developing estimation models where data is not available using research and accurate assumptions.
- Assisting with other climate-related projects (emissions reduction strategies, climate risk assessments, setting Science-Based Targets, etc.).
- You are passionate about climate change, climate strategies and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- You have good understanding of the Greenhouse Gas Protocol standard and carbon footprinting in general.
- You are excited by the idea of working in a dynamic and high-growth startup environment.
- You are fuelled by optimism and enthusiasm.
- You have deep interest in and thorough understanding of climate change, especially in a corporate context, and specifically on some or all the following topics.
- Corporate climate change risks and opportunities (e.g. TCFD reporting).
- Carbon accounting (according to the GHG Protocol).
- CDP reporting.
- Science-Based Targets.
- Life Cycle Assessments (LCA).
- You have strong communication and presentation skills: write clear emails and reports, make complex ideas accessible, and edit others’ writing to ensure clarity.
- You are motivated to put your analytical skills to work towards the Nexio Projects mission of building a more sustainable future.
- You are a well-organized person who can prioritize tasks and have strong time management skills.
- You are a team player who works quickly and independently.
- You are a doer who is impact-driven and a strong multitasker.
- You are able to perform rigorous research and data analysis.
- Flexible work attitude and able to prioritize working across various projects happening at the same time.
- You are very proficient in Excel.
- You hold a BA, BSc,, Licence, HBO or WO in Sustainability, Environmental Science, Engineering or in other technical fields. Master’s degree a plus.
- You have a least 1-year work experience or 6 months internship experience in a firm where sustainability was one of the topics you covered.
- You are fluent in English and Dutch – French or any additional European language is a key advantage.
- Your scope of interest in sustainability goes beyond work and is also part of your lifestyle.
- A dynamic, international, creative and professional working environment.
- An environment where entrepreneurialism and creativity are key.
- Constant learning opportunities that enable you to grow and apply your knowledge on a variety of projects, with a training allowance per year (time and costs covered in part).
- A flexible work environment where you are free to work from home for 50% of the time – if desired.
- Transportation allowance if necessary, although we highly encourage you to bike to work.
- Contribution towards wellbeing services (mental or physical health memberships/services).
- A free Swapfiets subscription.
- An opportunity to deepen your knowledge and specialize in climate change.
- Fresh fruit and flower delivery every week.
- A fun, friendly, start-up environment, with.
- A gratitude award shared by colleagues sharing appreciation for each other’s work.
- A weekly Friday evening drink to wrap up the week, and get to know each other on a more personal level.
- Quarterly team events.
- Volunteering opportunities.
- Location: Rotterdam
- Job type: Full-time
- Optimal start date: Beginning of January
- Application deadline: Please, submit the application as soon as possible.
- Other: Presence required in the Rotterdam office (50/50 work from office, work from home policy). We take every precaution necessary to minimize risk of COVID-19 infection among employees and adhere to all RIVM guidelines.