With profound research and advice, Profundo aims to make a practical contribution to sustainability and social justice. Thematically we focus on international commodity chains, the financial sector, government policies and Corporate Social Responsibility. Our international client base includes non-governmental organizations (NGOs), trade unions, research institutes and government institutions, as well as foundations.
To expand our financial research capacity, we are looking for an experienced
You will research the investments, operations, financing and tax strategies of companies involved in international commodity chains (mining, agriculture, fisheries, forestry, energy) and other sectors with significant social and environmental impacts (garments, weapons, electricity, etc.). With this type of research we aim to understand which leverage options stakeholders (shareholders, banks, governments, NGOs) might have to influence corporate strategies in a more sustainable direction. Specifically:
- Investments research aims to understand capital expenditure patterns: the choices made regarding production technologies (e.g. renewable vs. fossil-fired power), segments of activity, geographical allocation and vertical integration;
- Operations research aims to analyse the dependency of the profit level and other key indicators of companies on critical or controversial commodities, geographies, products and practices (ranging from business flights to landgrabbing);
- Financing research aims to assess how companies finance their current operations and expansion plans, identifying the different financiers (banks, pension funds, public financiers), their risk exposure and their leverage options;
- Tax strategy research aims to unravel how international company groups use subsidiaries and affiliates in low-tax jurisdictions as well transfer-pricing and other tax avoidance strategies to reduce their tax payments – thereby depriving governments of the income to pay for public goods.
- With your research results you can support NGOs, trade unions and governments to address negative sustainability impacts of corporate actors and to stimulate adequate CSR policies and regulations which foster sustainable and inclusive development. Advising on influencing options and strategies and presenting your research findings in webinars and meetings with different stakeholders is therefore part of this job as well.
We expect you to:
- have a university degree in finance, econometrics or a related field;
- be a passionate researcher with keen analytical skills and a high level of accuracy;
- have experience with (statistical) analysis of large sets of (financial) data and with programming languages such as R or Python;
- feel highly motivated to foster the integration of sustainability and social justice in corporate practices;
- have demonstrable experience in writing and editing well-structured reports in English, while experience in reading and writing in other major languages would be an advantage;
- be able to present your research results to different stakeholders;
- live within commuting distance of our office or have the willingness to relocate.
- challenging and varied research and advice projects with a high social relevance;
- an organizational structure which aims to enable your personal and professional development;
- an international team of highly motivated colleagues with diverse fields of expertise;
- daily contacts with an inspiring civil society network spanning the globe;
- opportunities to further initiate and develop finance-related projects, working together with CSO partners to stimulate social change;
- opportunities for (international) travel, when Covid-restrictions are lifted;
- a friendly office close to the Amsterdam Sloterdijk train station;
- a contract for 28 to 40 hours per week (to be determined in consultation);
- flexible working hours and the option to work up to 80% from home;
- an initial monthly salary for 40 hours/week between € 2,985 and € 4,709, depending on experience; and
- good pension scheme and other fringe benefits.
Profundo is an equal opportunity employer striving for a diverse and inclusive workplace. Applicants from a minority background are especially encouraged to apply.
For more information on Profundo, please visit our website (www.profundo.nl). If you have further questions, feel free to send an email to Ward Warmerdam ([email protected]).
Please send your application, including a motivation letter, a curriculum vitae and a sample of your research work, no later than 31 January 2022 to Jan Willem van Gelder via [email protected].